Cul Priest Jones

Cul Priest Jones’s six-month run from law enforcement came to an end last week following his capture in an area of Roanoke Rapids known as the Lincoln Heights community.

Halifax County, North Carolina, Sheriff Wes Tripp confirmed Jones was captured around 3 a.m. after deputies and Roanoke Rapids police received a tip.

Once officers were in the area and spotted Jones, the 45-year-old fugitive fled. He was apprehended and transported to Halifax Regional Medical Center. Tripp would only confirm that Jones had been injured during the arrest.

Jones has been a fugitive from justice since his escape from Hoke Correctional Institution on October 14 of last year and is believed to have committed several crimes in Halifax, Northampton and Warren counties, North Carolina, as well as Brunswick County, Virginia.

It is believed Jones has committed the crimes of burglary, larceny and motor vehicle theft while on the run.

The North Carolina governor’s office just recently established a $10,000 reward for the capture of Jones, and it is unclear at this time whether anyone will be eligible for the reward.

An additional $2,500 each was pledged by Northampton County’s Sheriff Jack Smith, Warren County’s Sheriff Johnnie Williams and Brunswick County’s Sheriff Brian Roberts. Those contributions, along with a pledge of $2,500 from the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office, boosted the total reward to $20,000.

The October escape made the second time in his criminal history Jones has fled from prison custody.

Jones previously fled from Person Correctional Center, where he was serving a sentence for shooting Warren County Sheriff's Office Detective Harold Seaman in 1990. The Greensboro News & Record reported in 1995 that Jones, who at the time was allegedly responsible for a three-state crime spree while on the run, was taken into custody after being arrested by police in New York.

His Hoke County escape came after his sentencing in 2014 to a term of 7 years and 11 months for first-degree burglary, which was related to a December 2013 crime in which he was shot by a business owner who was awakened by noise and saw Jones behind the cash register with a handgun.