At its meeting on November 14, the William Taylor Chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution met at Lunenburg County’s historic 1827 court house. Gordon F. Erby, Clerk of the Circuit Court, discussed with the membership the varied responsibilities of the the Clerk, who holds an elected position for a term of eight years. The Honorable Mr. Erby reminded members that the Clerk who held the record for the longest tenure (51 years) in this position in Lunenburg was William Taylor, for whom the local DAR chapter was named. There have only been 17 clerks since Lunenburg County was created in 1746, with the average length of service at 16 years. Erby has served since 1997. The Clerk’s office is custodian of a variety of legal documents, including land records, wills, marriage and divorce records, and criminal cases. Lunenburg has records that predate the American Revolution, with a number of the older books being restored. The record-keeping has become more complicated over the years and the volume of paperwork has increased. Erby displayed examples of old and new filings. DAR is a non-profit, non-political service organization that promotes historic preservation, education, and patriotism. The William Taylor Chapter has local members throughout Southside Virginia with a large number from Brunswick, Lunenburg, and Mecklenburg Counties.
- Grand Jury Indictments; Murder, possession, and larceny among charges
- Haskins Earned Co-POY Honors in ‘03
- PV Went Undefeated in ’02-03 Regular Season; Bulldogs Won Final 9 Games to Capture State Title
- Youth community re-entry program reaches Mecklenburg County
- Winning Lunenburg Holiday Ornament
- State Police seeking help from public to locate sex offender
- Longtime Council member and community leader passes
- Virginia State Police investigating fatal crash in Clarksville
- 6 wounded and 1 dead in Sunday morning shooting
- Mr. Walter Prince Powell
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.